Sacred Heart Guelph- An IB Primary Years Programme Candidate School
Programme and pursuing authorization as an IB World School.
diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of
international education that share a powerful vision.
For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org
What is a PYP Candidate School?
It is an elementary school that is in the process of becoming a recognized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School.
The components of the IB Primary Years Programme are outlined below.:International -mindedness: What is an internationally-minded person?
|Who we are||How we express ourselves||How we organize ourselves|
|Where we are in place and time||How the world works||Sharing the planet|
SKILLS: What do we want students to be able to do?
- form (What is it like?)
- function (How does it work?)
- causation (Why is it like this?)
- change (How has it changed?)
- connection (How is it connected to other things?)
- perspective (What are the points of view?)
- responsibility (What is our responsibility?).
- The PYP is committed to learning through inquiry during which students explore and construct understanding through the completion of units
- Each level from Grade 1 to Grade 6 completes 6 units of inquiry matching the 6 transdisciplinary themes with each unit. In Kindergarten, students will work through 4 themes a year.
How will we know what we have learned?
- Students' knowledge, skills and understanding are assessed before they start (diagnostic), while they are being carried out (formative) and upon completion (summative)
- The IB philosophy on assessment aligns with the Ontario Ministry of Education policy document entitled Growing Success: Assessment, Evaluation and Reporting in Ontario Schools.K-12. 2010
- Students are involved in assessing themselves using the process of reflection to look back at what was achieved, determine where they are in relation to the learning goals, and make next steps for learning.
French as a Second Language
In the PYP, second (or additional) language learning is valued and as such, Core French is offered starting in Kindergarten. Kindergarten to Grade 3 students receive 125 minutes of French language instruction per week. Grades 4-8 receive 200 minutes. The focus is on building functional language for authentic situations, starting with listening and speaking skills in the primary years and progressing to reading and writing skills. Grade 9 Core French is a mandatory credit in all Ontario high schools.
The Programme of Inquiry
The Programme of Inquiry (POI) outlines the 6 units of inquiry by theme and by grade. This is collaboratively designed so that units may build on each other in a meaningful way throughout a student's years at Sacred Heart.
The POI is a living document, meaning that as we develop our knowledge and understanding of the elements of the Primary Years Programme, revisions and refinements are happening. Some units have been completed, some are still in progress and others will be further revised next year. To see the current matrix of the Programme of Inquiry, click on the PDF below.
IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.